Chicago Green Card Sponorship Attorneys

Cheng, Cho, & Yee, Immigration Lawyers

As a United States citizen, you are permitted to sponsor your foreign spouse for a green card. However, obtaining a green card for a spouse is no simple feat. There are forms that must be submitted and documentation, which must be provided regarding your marriage relationship. Our Chicago green card sponsorship attorneys at Cheng, Cho, & Yee, Immigration Lawyers know the importance of providing the right information and can help you through this process.

Spouse Immigration Law Firm

As with other types of immigration petitions, such as an H-1B or K visa, qualifying for a spousal green card is a complex process. For example, if you have been married for less than two years, your spouse’s green card will have a two-year restriction on permanent residency. This is done in order to prevent people from getting married just so they can immigrate to the U.S. In such cases, you will have to submit a 751 petition within 90 days of your two-year anniversary to request the removal of this green card restriction.

The petition for a spousal green card should include documentation for your foreign family member like a marriage certificate or birth certificate. Our immigration attorneys explain the sponsorship process to you, assist you in gathering the documents necessary and work with you in filling out the forms needed.

Proving the Marriage Is Bona Fide

In order to receive a removal of the two-year restriction, you will need to show that the marriage is a bona fide spousal relationship. Some types of evidence that you may have to submit to prove this include the following:

  • Copies of mortgage documents
  • Banking accounts that list both spouse’s names
  • Health insurance policy information for both spouses

In the event that your marriage to the U.S. citizen ended through death or divorce, you may still be able to remain a permanent resident. The same is true if you are a victim of domestic violence and your spouse is the abuser. In such an event, there are other immigration services our attorneys can provide which may allow you to remain in the U.S.

Experienced Guidance

Our immigration attorneys have nearly 27 years of combined experience in guiding individuals and businesses through the immigration labyrinth. We not only handle family immigration, but we also assist clients with business non-immigrant visas, business immigrant visas and deportation/removal defense. Contact a Chicago green card sponsorship attorney at the Cheng, Cho, & Yee, Immigration Lawyers today at (312) 853-3088 to schedule your consultation.