Chicago Employment Immigration Lawyer

Thousands of immigrants come to the United States each year on employment visas for job opportunities. The visas range from temporary visas to permanent visas. To avoid having your application denied, it is important to know which visa type best applies to you.

At Cho Immigration Law, we have nearly 30 years of experience handling employment visas. We can help you navigate the ever-changing laws that apply to your relocation. An employment immigration lawyer at our law firm will review your case and advise you on which employment visa best fits your circumstances and what requirements you will have to meet. Having a lawyer review your case can ensure that your rights are protected, and your job opportunity meets all the legal requirements.

Contact a Chicago employment immigration lawyer at Cho Immigration Law for a free consultation. Call (312) 853-3088.

Do You Need to Hire an Employment Immigration Attorney?

Hiring an employment-based immigration attorney is not a requirement for obtaining an employment-based visa, but it can help during the application process. Due to the complex nature of immigration laws, retaining legal counsel can help immigrant workers navigate the process. Immigration regulations and procedures are subject to frequent changes. An attorney can help you to avoid mistakes in visa applications that can lead to delays, rejections, or even legal issues. 

An employment visa attorney can help you prepare appropriate forms with accurate information before the deadline, as well as prepare you for possible interviews. If your visa application is denied, an attorney can help with appeals. An experienced employment immigration lawyer can increase your likelihood of getting approved for your employment visa.

What Is an Employment Visa?

An employment visa allows individuals to work in the United States for a set time period. The type of employment visa that you need will depend on the circumstances of your opportunity. Making sure that you choose the correct category when you apply for an employment visa can help to avoid delays and denials during the application process.

What Are the Types of Employment Visas?

There are several types of employment-based visas, and each one is designed for a specific purpose. Each type of employment-based visa has specific eligibility criteria and requirements that cover different employment circumstances and worker skill levels.

Temporary Visas for Business Trips

Temporary business visas are issued to individuals traveling to the U.S. for short-term business-related reasons. This type of visa allows recipients to participate in meetings, conferences, negotiations, or explore potential business opportunities. These visas permit individuals to conduct business related activities that do not involve receiving payment from a source within the U.S. 

Temporary Non-Immigrant Visa

A temporary business non-immigrant visa is a type of visa that allows foreign nationals to enter the U.S. for a temporary purpose. These visas have a set duration and are issued to individuals who intend to return to their home country once the authorized period is over. An example would be H-1B work visas

Permanent Immigrant Worker

A permanent immigrant worker has been granted the legal right to live and work permanently in the United States. Immigrant workers must possess skills, qualifications, or family connections that meet the requirements set by the USCIS immigration policies. If you think that you might fit the requirements for this type of visa, a business immigration lawyer can help make sure you have all necessary documentation.

International Entrepreneur Parole

International Entrepreneur Parole is an immigration program that allows foreign entrepreneurs to stay and work in the United States temporarily to develop and grow a startup business. To qualify for this program, entrepreneurs must demonstrate public benefit through their business’s potential for job creation and innovation. Successful applicants can work in the U.S. for up to five years.

The Chicago attorneys at Cho Immigration Law can help guide you through each step of the employment-based immigration visa process. Call (312) 853-3088.

FAQs About Employment Immigration in the United States

How Can You Qualify for an Employment-Based Visa?

To be eligible for an employment-based visa, you must first have a job offer from a U.S. employer. Your potential employer must file a petition on your behalf, and in the petition outline the need for your skills or qualifications for the position. Every employment-based visa category has its own unique criteria, often related to skills, qualifications, and the nature of the job. In some instances, your employer might need to prove there are no qualified U.S. workers to fill the position. 

How Long Can I Stay in the U.S. on an Employment-Based Visa?

The length of stay in the U.S. on an employment visa varies depending on the terms of the visa category. Some visas may be granted for only a short period of time, while other visas allow for extended periods and pathways to a green card. An H-1B visa initially allows the worker to stay up to three years, which can be extended to six years. Workers should strive to understand the limitations of their visa to ensure they do not overstay their visa.  

Can You Change Employers While on an Employment-Based Visa?

It is possible to change employers while on an employment-based visa, but it depends on the visa category and the terms of your employment authorization. To change employers, requirements must be met and procedures must be followed. For example, H-1B visas require you to find a new employer to sponsor and file a new petition on your behalf. An immigration attorney can help ensure the legal transfer between employers while you are in America on an employment based visa.